Can I Work Remotely in the US For A Canadian Company?

Yes, it’s possible to work remotely for a Canadian Company from the United States. There are many people who already live in the USA and work for a Canadian company. However there are certain things you need to consider.

Already working for the Canadian company from Canada
In this case, you might check if the company has an office in the United States. For tax purposes, it might be easier to just to ask them to transfer you to the US. If you are a Canadian Citizen, then you might be eligible to work in the US through the TN-status which allows you to work without requiring immigration petition from your Employer.

If you don’t have Canadian Citizenship but are a US national/permanent resident, that also works well for you as you won’t run into any legal issues while working in the United States.

If you don’t have right to reside in the United States then you won’t be able to work remotely for the Canadian Company from the US as you will potentially run into both immigration and tax issues.

Potential Tax issues – If you are working directly for the Canadian Company then depending on your situation you might be required to file taxes both in Canada as well as the United States.

Looking to work remotely for a Canadian Company
If you are residing in the United States and plan to work for a Canadian Company and they don’t have a US office; then things can get a little tricky. In case of small companies, they might not be willing to setup an office in the US just to hire a single person as an employee but they might consider having you as a contractor.

In case of working as a remote contractor, you would to be aware that the work you are doing is considered as an export of services (to Canada) and therefore you might be required to do some additional paperwork for the Canadian/US tax agencies.

As a contractor however you would only need to file taxes in the United States. Make sure to check with a tax consultant as situation can vary depending on your citizenship and residence situation.

Other things to consider
One potential issue that a lot of remote workers run into is; getting paid in Canadian Dollars but having to spend US Dollars while living in the US. It is recommended to setup a US bank account, and utilize a money transfer service to convert CAD to USD.
You can also get a Canadian Credit Card with 0% international fees and utilize that for your purchases while in the US.

Leave a Comment