How To Exchange Ontario Driver’s License for Quebec’s?

If you have an Ontario Driving License and have moved to Quebec recently, you are legally required you to get your driving license exchanged.

You cannot exchange Ontario Driving License without an appointment
While you might think that you can go straight to SAAQ (Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec) and simply hand in your Ontario Driving License for a Quebec one, the process is a little more complicated than that.

Book an appointment for exchange of driving license

Booking an appointment

You will need to book an appointment to be able to exchange an out of province license for a Quebec one. Service is provided in both English and French.

Link for booking appointment with SAAQ –

They are going to ask you basic questions like your legal name, date of birth, what type of driving license you have, how long have you had it, and what province does it originate from.

Documents required by SAAQ

You will be required to provide certain documents to be able to exchange your Ontario Driving License for a Quebec Driving Permit. Here is a list of documents –

  • Ontario Driving License (Full Driving License)
  • Ontario Driving Record – You can obtain this document from ServiceOntario and it can be mailed to you.
  • Proof of Residence in Quebec
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship/residence

At the location, you will get your picture taken, will need to pay the driver license fee and will be issued a temporary paper document till you receive your license through mail.

Also if you haven’t done already, it might be good to update your address everywhere.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make my payment?

SAAQ locations usually accept cash, cheque or debit card payments only. You might run into issues paying through a credit card.

What if I don’t have a Full Ontario Driving License?

If you have a G2 license from Ontario and have driven more than 2 years then you might be able to get a Full Quebec Driving License.

Can I show foreign driving experience if I have less than 2 years of experience on my Ontario G2 Driving License?

If you have driven previously in the United States then it can add up as driving experience and help you get a Full Quebec Driving License. You might be required to show your driving record from the foreign country that you have driven in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *